What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Car accidents are very common in the United States and most of them are caused by human error. Although most of the accidents are minor, tens of thousands of lives are lost each year in fatal car crashes. It is important to drive carefully and follow all the traffic laws, in order to avoid being involved in a car accident. However, even if you are carefully driving it doesn’t mean other drivers do the same. On our website, you can get car insurance quotes for free and compare car insurance rates.
The most common causes of accidents in the United States are:
- Distracted driving. This is the leading cause of car accidents. In recent times, more and more drivers get distracted and stop paying attention to the road. Texting on the smartphone, or applying makeup while driving, are common sightings nowadays. All it takes are just a few moments of distraction to cause an accident. It is recommended to not make phone calls or text, eat or drink, apply makeup, while you are behind the wheel.
- Drunk driving. Driving while being drunk is one of the leading causes of accidents in the US. If you plan on drinking, wait until the drinking effects disappear, or if you are in a hurry, consider taking a taxi or give your keys to someone who is sober.
- Speeding. Speeding is the second most common cause of accidents. Many drivers ignore the speed limits, especially on the highways. The faster you drive, the slower your reaction time will be if you are found in a dangerous situation and you need to prevent a collision.
- Reckless driving. Reckless driving involves speeding well over the limit, changing lanes too quickly, or driving aggressively. To avoid accidents, it is important to remain calm while driving.
- Bad weather conditions. Driving in bad weather like dense fog, excessive rain, high winds, slick roads can cause accidents, especially if the driver is inexperienced or unprepared for the road conditions.
- Running red lights. Not stopping while the red light is running is illegal and dangerous at the same time. You can cause a serious accident by running a red light. Drivers that are caught running red light say stuff like they were in a hurry reaching to their workplace, or to an important meeting. It is important to remember, that no issue is more important than your own life.
- Night driving. Reduced visibility during nighttime can make obstacles and hazards harder to spot. Make sure to use your full lights when you are on a road without streetlights and raise your alertness levels.
Visit us for more info and free quotes. Check our webpage!