What Types of Devices Can Save Money on Car Insurance?
To help lower their car insurance rates, drivers can install certain modifications to their vehicles. Depending on what devices they install, drivers can qualify to smaller or higher discounts. There are 2 major types of improvements, drivers can install in order to lower their insurance rates and increase the safety of their vehicles. On our website, you can use our
car insurance estimator and find out what car modification affect your premium.
The 2 main types of car modifications that can help you save on your premium rate are safety devices and anti-theft devices.
Safety devices are used to decrease the chances of being involved in an accident and to increase survivability if a collision occurs. Some of the most popular safety devices are:
- Adaptive cruise control. By utilizing sensors and radars, this safety device will monitor the traffic around the car and will try to maintain a safe distance from the car upfront by automatically braking if you get too close.
- Rear view cameras. This safety system is basically a camera that displays a live video feed of the view from the back of a car for the driver to use when backing out or parking.
- Blind spot warnings. As you drive along, sensors will monitor the lanes in your left and in your right, and when they detect a vehicle is in your blind spot, they will issue a visual, or audio warning.
- Airbags. Frontal airbags are mandatory since 1999. Additional types of airbags like full-front seat airbags, side airbags can lower the cost of your insurance.
- Automatic emergency braking. Often paired with the adaptive cruise control system, this safety device will begin to automatically brake if they sense a potential collision.
Anti-theft devices are used to prevent a vehicle from being stolen or to ease its recovery if a thief manages to steal your car. Each year billions of dollars are lost due to stolen vehicles, so insurers reward drivers that install anti-theft devices. The most popular anti-theft devices are:
- Satellite tracking systems. Small devices that are hidden inside the vehicle, and are capable of emitting signals in order to track their location. Past reports show that 90% of the vehicles that were stolen and had GPS tracking systems installed, were eventually recovered by the authorities.
- Steering wheel lock. They are simple to install and quite effective. All you have to do is to place this device over the steering wheel and lock it.
- Ignition kill switch. This device will disable the ignition switch and prevent the car from starting. This system is cheap and can be installed in hidden places.
- Car alarm. This alarm will emit a strong beeping sound when someone tries to open the car without the right key, or they brake the car’s windows.
Visit us for more info and free quotes. Visit our homepage!